Distance learning is an alternative tertiary education option. Lectures are either broadcast or lessons are conducted through correspondence. The student does not need to attend college or go to class, and can study from home whilst also holding a job or taking care of a family.
Before deciding whether distance learning is for you or not, you need to do some research and weigh up the advantages and disadvantages. A 3-week short course might be more suitable for you than a 3-year distance learning course or 1-year certificate. So do your research and decide what is best for you.
- It is convenient
- You have some flexibility as you don’t need to attend lectures
- There is an increase in availability of distance learning courses with a variety of courses to choose from
- Distance learning is generally substantially cheaper
- You can work at your own pace and have your own schedule
- You won’t be wasting time on travelling to class
- As long as you have a computer, you can work from anywhere
- If you find lectures dreary and boring – distance learning could help you as it is more visual and you can learn in any way you want to
- No travel expenses or having to stay in a res
- You can work while you study
- If you need someone to talk to and ask questions, this may not be for you as there is no lecturer
- There is still a stigma attached to distance learning
- There is no social side to distance learning
- If you procrastinate or struggle to set time aside for your studies, you are most likely to struggle with distance learning
- There is very little support, all research and tasks must be done alone
- There is not campus atmosphere and student activities to take part in, if this is important to you, you might want to reconsider distance learning
Before continuing your studies, you need to decide what type of qualification you would like to acquire. Tertiary institutions offer:
- Technical degrees
College SA is a reputable distance learning institute. Head over to their website to see what courses they offer and what the tuition fees are, or alternatively, fill out an information form and they will get back to you as soon as they can.